Monday, June 19, 2006

Dead City

Just saw Sheila Callaghan's play Dead City last night. It does indeed live up to the hype. And, despite it taking place in modern-day New York, having the names and genders of the main characters switched around and being called a "riff" on James Joyce's novel Ulysses (a book I absolutely love...no, seriously), it's surprisingly faithful to the source material (something I thought would be absolutely impossible).

(And Campbell Robertson is wrong about one thing: there is indeed a counterpart to Buck Mulligan [the Beatrice character].)

If you get a chance, check it out. No, seriously. It's excellent. If I do end up doing another "Top Ten" list by the end of the year (I need to see about 15 more shows before I fit my self-created criteria for doing such a list), I wouldn't be surprised to find Ms. Callaghan's play on that list. It's being extended another week.

I'm off to see Matthew Freeman's play The Most Wonderful Love on Wednesday...

Taking tonight off to watch Wife Swap,

James "Prioritize" Comtois

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much James!! I'm so pleased you liked it...

I am so bummed to be missing your show (stuck in sunny SF)... congrats on all its success!!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

My pleasure, Sheila. I'm really glad I got to see your show. The press and accolades you're getting are much deserved. And thanks! No worries about not being able to see Nervous Boy (San Francisco, after all, not being local).

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See you there on Thursday, James, Joanne and I and a whole bunch of us (well, four) will be there for the show. Very much looking forward!

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.