Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Extending Ourselves

Tomorrow begins our extended two-weekend run of the play.

To be honest, I’m getting a bit nervous about it (pardon the pun).

This is new ground for Nosedive, and despite the really good response we’ve had for the first three weeks, I kinda don’t know how these next two will fare attendance-wise.

Why? Two reasons.

1. I’m not 100% the word has fully gotten out about the extension.

2. I’m wondering if we’ve overstayed our welcome.

These may just be annoyingly paranoid thoughts, I know, but hey. Those are the rules of the game when you’re a self-producing indie playwright who’s used to “success” being a matter of degree. (Such as, “You guys didn’t force your parents into foreclosing on their homes with this show. SUCCESS!”)

I think it's best to treat these final six performances as icing on the cake; as a chance to let those friends of the procrastinating persuasion who haven't yet seen it do so.

(I’m sure, dear reader, you may now be thinking, “Only you, James. Only you could have a show of yours get staged, have it be warmly received, and respond to such things with fretting and gnashing of teeth. Szymkowicz is right. You really do need a date.” Well, you may be right. Ladies, I’m currently accepting applications.)

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m very glad we’ve extended the show. As I said on Saturday night to the cast and crew, “I’m so glad tonight’s not our closing night,” to which everyone agreed. We’re all super-proud of this one and still want to show it off, so to speak.

But obviously, since we’re treading into new territory, those niggling concerns arise. (Such as, “Shouldn’t you be busy bankrupting yourself and everyone around you?”)

Ah, hell. Screw it. It’s gonna be fun.

So in case you haven’t caught on with this semi-coherent rambling, if you’ve missed The Adventures of Nervous Boy (A Penny Dreadful), we here at Nosedive Central have given you a second chance.

Six second chances, in fact. (Don’t…don’t analyze that sentence too hard. Just…shhhh…)

June 29, 30-July 1 & July 6-8, Thursday through Saturday. All shows at 8 p.m. at the Gene Frankel Underground on 24 Bond Street.

See you there.

Always externally calm,

James “Nervous Nellie” Comtois

7 Comments:

Blogger Freeman said...

I will happily be able to come because of this extension, so I think it's fantastic.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Awesome, man. Thanks! I do indeed hope you like it.

(I swear, eventually I'll go back to making "Jamespeak" less about blatant personal plugs and more about how the new Superman movies compares to the first two.)

12:45 PM  
Blogger MattJ said...

excellent! I'm gonna try to come tomorrow (Thursday)

9:22 PM  
Blogger Adam Szymkowicz said...

I can also come because of this extension. So with me and freeman and mattj, that's already 3 people in the audience over 6 nights. what more could you possibly want? (besides a date)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Philucifer said...

Well, that's awesome! You three I haven't met yet and have been meaning to, so I'll finally get my chance. That is if you don't run screaming into the night afterwards, realizing what a terrible, terrible mistake you've made associating with us.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband & I came out to your show last night (Saturday) and both really enjoyed it, him especially. I dreampt about murdering someone last night. It was an interesting experience. Thanks & good luck!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Wow. What a comment! Thanks, Emily! I'm...well, do I say, "glad to hear about your dream?" Oh, why the hell not? Glad to hear it!

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.