Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Syd Barrett, 1946-2006

Also related to neither Nosedive nor theatre…

Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett, the original singer, songwriter and guitarist for Pink Floyd, died a couple of days ago (as of this writing, no one’s exactly sure when) of symptoms related to diabetes at the age of 60. In high school, Pete and I acted (as glorified extras) in a staging of Pink Floyd: The Wall in the Palace Theatre in Manchester, New Hampshire, which immediately got me hooked on Pink Floyd’s music (die-hard fans will note I became a fan of the post-Barrett band [i.e., the Waters-Gilmour incarnation], although I should point out that the character of Pink in The Wall is loosely based on Mr. Barrett).

Jody Rosen writes a very spot-on and interesting article about the musician and his place (or lack thereof) in Pink Floyd in Slate.

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn,

James “Crazy Diamond” Comtois

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

So it's Sunday, and I'm recovering from the cast party, walking around with my ipod. Just as I'm about to go back in the house, "Arnold Layne", one of my favorite Syd-era Floyd tunes, comes on.

The next day I find out he's dead. I like to pretend that that was the moment that he left the earthly plane...

Not really one of those "ooooh, spooky!" kind of moments, but close.

I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like,

scot

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.