Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Slight Change of Plans

Okay, so I ended up not seeing Eye Candy last night. Why? Because I just didn't. So, I've bought my ticket for Eye Candy's Friday night show, which means I'll be talking about it on Monday (in case you haven't noticed, I don't post on weekends because I don't have Internet access at home. Besides, shouldn't we all take a break from the computer at least a couple days out of the week?).

This of course completely hamstrings me, since I had been set to write exclusively on Fringe shows for the week (and therefore haven't come up with anything to rant about in my typical vitriolic-yet-endearing fashion). So much for that plan.

Ah, well.

At any rate, I've purchase my ticket for tonight's roundup of 24 is 10: The Best of the 24 Hour Plays (forgive me, Mac; I know you have a short play of yours going up on the Thursday batch, but I'll be seeing Air Guitar on Saturday) and will do my best to write something coherent about the experience tomorrow.

In the meantime, you should read these disparate essays on the craft of writing, brought to my attention courtesy of Mr. Joshua James:

An excellent (albeit lengthy) speech by screenwriter John August on the difference between the professional and amateur writer can be found here. (I'll give you a hint: the difference has nothing to do with getting paid or not.)

A blog entry by screenwriter Paul Guyot about the importance of discipline can be found here.

Another blog entry by novelist and teacher Tod Goldberg about whether or not someone can teach another person how to write. (I'll give you a hint: they can't.)

Dragging his feet,

James "Ditherer" Comtois

1 Comments:

Blogger Lucas Krech said...

A friend tried to make the distinction that, “The amateur does something for the love of it.” Which is kind of defeatist if you think about it. Like, the minute someone pays you for doing what you love, you stop loving it.

Maybe that applies to prostitution, but I don’t think it’s a universal by any mean.


I think this is the third time I have read his lecture. I love it. So true. And fuuny. Funny is good.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.