Friday, January 05, 2007

Gettin' To Know Your Comtois

Mr. Isaac Butler has tagged me with another Meme dealie. This time, the goal of the Meme is to list five things about yourself you think your readers probably don't/couldn't know.

Right. Here goes:

1. I’ve never seen nor read anything by Bertolt Brecht. Although I've mentioned this before in Jamespeak, it's been such a long while (it was in, like, my third or fourth entry) I think 99% of my current readers either weren’t around then or have forgotten. This fact hasn't changed since I admitted this back in 2004.

2. With some very rare exceptions, I have written most of my plays while on the clock at work (as in, my day job). I think my home computer may be dead (it hasn't been turned on in several months and has been collecting dust in the corner of my room), so when I'm at home, I'm usually watching TV. Sometimes while at home I write longhand on a yellow legal pad, but for the most part, the bulk of my work that’s been staged has been written while at my desk at work.

3. I think Mike Leigh's movie Secrets and Lies stinks on hot ice. Melodramatic, heavy-handed, facile and boring as all hell. It took me a long while to get over how much I hated (hate) that movie to actually check out the earlier films that garnered his reputation (since Secrets and Lies was the first film by Leigh I saw and was perplexed why it was given such accolades). I do, however, think "The Short and Curlies" and "Hard Labour" are excellent films by Leigh.

4. William Reynolds, the film editor of such films as The Sound of Music and The Godfather, was a distant relative (he was my grandmother's cousin).

5. I have a filling in one tooth.

Honestly, I don’t think any of the above was even remotely helpful in getting to know me more. At all. But there you are.

Now, who to tag, who to tag, who to tag…how about Mr. Matthew Freeman, Mr. Ian W. Hill and Mr. Adam Szymkowicz?

Giving so much it hurts,

James "Open Book" Comtois

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your thoughts on Secrets and Lies are totally right on.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Oh, thanks, Matt! Man, I remember when it came out, I thought I had gone nuts. When it came out, everyone...and I mean, EVERYONE...thought this was a masterpiece. It was winning awards, getting rave reviews and long "think pieces" in the papers, and even the usher manning the popcorn stand said to me before I entered the theatre: "Everyone who's come out of that movie has loved it. You're sure to have a good time." So when I came out, I thought, "Was I watching a different movie than everyone else?" I was pretty much convinced it was just me.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't see Secrets and Lies because I'd already seen enough Leigh to be right there with you on that.

Thanks for the tag (no one EVER tags me) -- I'll respond as soon as I am able to spend any actual length of time online, and as soon as I think of 5 things of interest that won't horrify, I'll put something up.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Thanks, Ian. Wow, I'm really relieved to find that I'm not alone in my assessment of Secrets and Lies. At the time, I was convinced it was just me.

And sure thing. I'm looking forward to seeing what you put down (I have a feeling my five points were [are] pretty lame, so I'm sure you'll do a whole lot better).

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.