Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Whining Versus Doing

I really don't think I could have put it better myself.

MattJ writes:

I am really not interested right now on waxing philosophical and hypothetical about 'what theatre means to society,' or 'what kind of theatre we should be making in the 21st century,' or whatever. I've sort of had my fill of conversations about what is theatre and what isn't theatre, and what place theatre should play in society and why on earth people won't come see our shows.

I'm just sort of sick of whining about it. The more we whine the more we marginalize ourselves, in my opinion, and my patience for theatre folk who appropriate the word "culture" to the arts and theatre alone is wearing thin. We wonder why we're not connecting with anybody. But we're not trying to talk to anyone on any terms other than our own. One thing all of us can agree on, I think, is that theatre is not a selfish art. In fact, it may be the least selfish art. Why must we be so selfish with it then? Why must we judge our potential audiences instead of engaging with them?


Emphasis mine.

Well put, Jennif...er, Matt!

Being equally useless in the
current conversation on theatre,

James "I'm Gonna Write Something On
Horror Movies Again I Swear" Comtois

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.