Friday, January 25, 2008

Contemplating Writing On A Friday Afternoon

You know, for a four-day week, it sure does seem like this week was interminable. I really am relieved it's finally Friday.

We've begun rehearsals for the final episode of Pinkie, giving ourselves two weeks of rehearsal instead of the usual one. But I guess that makes sense: since this is the final episode, the one that supposedly ties everything together, it's a tad longer, more intricate and more talkative than the previous episodes.

Or, as Marsha says during rehearsals, "Talky-talky-talky-talky..."

Although this was posted a while ago, Mr. Matthew Freeman and Mr. Mark Armstrong brought this to my attention, so I figured I'd indulge on this Friday afternoon.

Marisa Wegrzyn writes this:

For writers and writing, I'm not so interested in learning about the nebulous, intangible stuff of inspiration and creativity. Borrrrrring. I prefer the quantifiable details: Where do you write? When? Pencil or pen? In a spiral notebook or on office legal pads? When you write on the computer, what font do you use? How do you format your stage directions? Where do you go for character names? When you write at Starbucks, what do you drink? Do you snack? How good is your writing after a couple glasses of crummy [yellowtail]? Music? No? If music, what kind, how loud? Do you wear pants? Can you write on a bus? On a train? In bed?


Here are my best attempts at answers:

Where do you write? When?
Often at work (at my day job), during the day. Sometimes at home. Sometimes at bars (though I find I really just write my notes at bars).

Pencil or pen?
Pen.

In a spiral notebook or on office legal pads?
Office legal pads.

When you write on the computer, what font do you use?
I used to use Palatino 12 pt., but now it's Times new Roman (also 12 pt.).

How do you format your stage directions?
If they're short, in parentheses within the dialogue. If they're long, centered (like blockquotes on blogger). Always in italics.

Where do you go for character names?
Sometimes they're names of people I know (or knew). Sometimes I try to think of a common name I haven't used before (or in a long while).

When you write at Starbucks, what do you drink?
I don't.

Do you snack?
Not unless smoking counts as "snacking."

How good is your writing after a couple glasses of Blue Moon beer?
You'd have to ask someone who's read or seen The Awaited Visit (my play written deliberately after getting super-drunk).

Music?
You bet. I really dig it while writing.

If music, what kind, how loud?
Depends on the script or scene.

Do you wear pants?
Yes. Yes, I do.

Can you write on a bus?
No.

On a train?
Yes.

In bed?
No.

Anyway, I hope any of this was at all fun or enlightening. At any rate, have a good weekend, folks. And thanks to Isaac Butler for the very nice shout-out!

Takin' his pants off for rewrites,

James "Unencumbered" Comtois

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.