Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Lazy Bastard

I'm hoping that I'll resume writing about theatre (aside from posting blatant plugs) in the not-too-distant future. The reason why I haven't (aside from writing up my Top Ten list) is simply because so far I haven't seen any plays. I really don't know why that is. Maybe I'm just temporarily burnt out. Maybe I just haven't yet heard about anything just that I need to see. Maybe I'm just freakin' lazy.

Okay, I actually think a combination of all three has taken place. (And no, I feel no compulsion to catch this before it goes up to the Great Production in the Sky. Okay, maybe if you're a super hot chick reading this and have an extra ticket and want me to be your date, I'll consider it.)

In truth, much of my focus of late has been spent finishing my personal writing assignments, catching up on my movie going (December and January is usually reserved for going to the movies) and reading comics (I received Seth's It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken, Chester Brown's The Playboy and Joe Matt's The Poor Bastard for Christmas, all of which I recommend, particularly It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken).

Yeah, I really understand what Mac's talking about when he admits:

"The extreme busy-ness of 2007 caused me to crash and withdraw a little bit, to be honest, terrified of anything that looks like work. ... I've never had the nonstop energy or killer instinct that a lot of successful showbiz people have. I get tired. I need time between shows to get drinks with people and watch DVDs on my computer."


Thanks for admitting this, Mac. I thought it was just me!

Anyway, I'll get back off the mat soon. In the meantime, the folks at Nosedive Central are getting ready for the first reading of Colorful World tomorrow, as well as rehearsing the final episode of Pinkie for the Saturday Night Saloon. I have to say, I'm excited about both (as well as feeling simultaneously relieved and saddened to be bringing the story of 1890s private investigator William "Dusty" Denton and his case to a close).

If anyone has any strong recommendations for shows either open or about to open in the city, by all means let me know. You can plug a good show that's not taking place in New York, but I probably won't go.

Unless, of course, you're a super hot chick that wants to take me and house me afterwards.

No super hot married chicks, please.

Fine with married chicks,
James "Homewrecking Theatregoer" Comtois

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger macrogers said...

That's awesome, James, as I was writing that bit I was thinking of you as a counter-example to someone like me. Looking at your schedule from a distance, it seems like you *never* stop having new stuff coming up. Maybe you sit around the house all day, but you definitely give off a Mr. Stamina public image.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Well, shit. I've just blown my cover then, haven't I? Um, I mean, forget what I said! I'm Mr. 24/7. I've seen 5 plays this morning alone! I've written 6 plays since last night! I never sleep!

(Okay, yeah, I don't think folks are buying it now. Ah, well.)

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.