Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Reviewing Plays, Watching Homicide

My first play to review for Martin for the year was supposed to be tomorrow, but it's review dates have been pushed back a week. I was expecting this to be a jam-packed week, but with the show to review being pushed back and tonight's scheduled production meeting also being pushed back, it's looking as though next week (with seeing Eddie Izzard on Monday, Welcome to Nowhere on Wednesday, Notes From Underground on Thursday and the play to review for nytheatre.com on Friday) will be my jam-packed theatre-going week (or live performance-going week).

Until then, I'm getting a lot of time to engage in my latest addiction: Homicide: Life on the Street. Yeah, I just started the show last week. I'm already halfway through the third season. Although it has some convolutions and the signs of stupid network tinkering, it's pretty damn good.

And can someone tell me why Andre Braugher hasn't been picked up by just about any and every television show and film as their leading man since? I mean, he's absolutely amazing.

Yes, Isaac and Nosedive, I'll get to work on The Wire soon, I promise. Just think of this as primer.

And yes, I did indeed enjoy myself at last night's sold out production of Blue Coyote's Happy Endings. Matthew Freeman's entry within the evening, "The White Swallow," is a particularly silly beast.

In the meanwhile, we have this to look forward to (I plan on attending the opening night party, but seeing the show next week).

As well as, of course, this.

Andre Braugher's Newest Fan,

James "Go Pembleton!" Comtois

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger isaac butler said...

James,

Homicide was my favorite show in high school! And I CAN tell you why Andre Braugher hasn't been picked up by everything... he doesn't want to. He's publicly stated in interviews that he works when he has to, and in general enjoys living in New Jersey with his wife and kids and taking care of the house.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Freeman said...

What I've heard, also, is that he isn't particularly...popular. As they say. As a guy.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Well, good for him! And that makes total sense.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Joshua James said...

actually, the nice word for it is "difficult".

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Hmm...you know, I can't say I'm surprised the guy is difficult on the set. Regardless, *damn* he's good! The guy just demands total attention every time he's on the screen.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James--

Welcome to the crack addiction known as HOMICIDE. I know it well, having watched all seven seasons at least twice in their entirety.

Andre Braugher is awesome, as is everyone. Kyle Secor is my personal favorite. How that guy never got nominated for an Emmy I'll never know.

Hands down one of the greatest television shows ever. Keep us posted on your progress. And enjoy.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.