Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Post-Mortem of Sorts/Open Forum

I was really hoping to do this massive post-mortem on Colorful World now that the show has gone up into the Great Production in the Sky, but I have found (much to my chagrin, albeit to nobody's surprise) a huge pile of work from my day job that needs to be done, so it looks as though such an exhaustive assessment on the show will not be happening anytime soon.

I know, I know, I'm as disappointed as you are.

(My super-short assessment: I loved what the cast & crew did, I was very happy with it, and even though we had good houses, I wish more people could see it.)

So, in the vein of Mr. Freeman's open forum on Star Wars, if anyone who saw/read the play is interested, and has any questions about the show, by all means, fire away and I'll see if I can natter about it in any coherent way.

Just be forewarned questions of the, "Why do you suck so badly, Comtois?" ilk will most likely be met with answers of the, "Because go fuck yourself, that's why," persuasion. Not that you can't ask those kinds of questions, mind you. I'm just saying that's how I'll answer.

Also be forewarned that my answers will be on the writing aspect of the show, not the direction, design, or acting angles. If you ask me why Overman did such and such, I'll answer you to the best of my knowledge and memory of what I was thinking while writing it. You can ask Patrick or Pete the very same question and they could (well, most likely would) give you a completely different answer.

But seriously, any of it's fair game. I'll do my best to answer. So, ask away!

Terrified he's just going to hear crickets,

James "Is This Thing On?" Comtois

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Freeman said...

How did you avoid failure?

2:07 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

That's very kind of you to suggest I avoided failure, sir. I'm assuming you're referring to artistic failure, rather than financial, so again, that's very kind.

Assuming the show did evade artistic failure, I'll say that happened through a.) luck, b.) an amazing cast & crew, c.) having enough smarts not to try a genuine faithful stage adaptation of Watchmen or The Dark Knight.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Qui Nguyen said...

I'm going elementary schoolyard with my question - Who'd win in a fight? Superman or Overman? Catwoman or Tigress? Captain America versus Johnny Patriot? Pete or Patrick? James or Rebecca? Nosedive or the Superfriends . . . in a drinking contest?

And why?

3:37 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

All right, in order:

Superman vs. Overman: This is a close one, because although Superman’s much more powerful, Overman (at least, Act One Overman) isn’t afraid of using collateral damage or endangering civilians in the fight (one of Superman’s “weaknesses,” I suppose). Ultimately, I’d say Superman.

Catwoman vs. Tigress: Tigress. Hands down. There’d be no contest. Tigress would wreck Selina. And that would be one hot fight.

Captain America versus Johnny Patriot: Captain America would flatten Johnny, I’m sorry to say. I mean, hell, isn’t Captain America in charge of training about 70-80% of the Marvel Universe?

Pete vs. Patrick: I know who I’m betting on. CAGE MATCH!!!!

James vs. Rebecca: I seriously think Mr. Nguyen is suggesting a Nosedive Cage Match, folks. And I sure as hell am listening.

Nosedive vs. the Superfriends in a drinking contest: Oh, come on, man. Have you ever drank with the Wonder Twins? You’ve seen what pantywaists they are! And it's pulling teeth to get Superman to decide on what shot to order.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Froggeh said...

Why is Bobby so mean to Mariana? That guy is a JERK!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

He is. Sadly, I think that's why she keeps coming back to him, and Bobby knows this.

I know, I know, it bothers me as much you, because she's such a sweet and pretty young lady (damn those horrific self-esteem issues).

4:38 PM  
Blogger daryl said...

if you could go back and change anything about the script, would you and if you would, what would you change?

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is cooler and more handsome - Captain Brian O'Brien or Val Kilmer in RED PLANET?

9:18 AM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

If I could go back and change anything about the script, would I and what?

Absolutely. In fact, I’m currently fixing a ton of stupid redundancies in the language that drove me nuts. But after Abe mentioned that, although it works as is, he sees a fast-paced 100-minute version within the show, I’ve also been seriously considering the idea of having three different versions available: Abe’s 100-minute one-act version, the current two-act (that we performed), and a 15-minute longer three-act version so I could add two flashback sequences (one with the Peacekeeper and Overman doing overseas wetwork activity and one where Ramses and Overman have their obliquely mentioned “conversation” about how to save the world).

Also, I'd like to use a three-act version to touch upon some things about the world itself that I didn't have much time or space to really get into (the idea of heroes getting "exclusive permits" to bust drug rings, more stuff on the U.S.'s Cold War with China, things like that).

I also would like to just make a few more direct references to Johnny Patriot in the first act, as he’s only mentioned very, very peripherally before you meet him in the second act.

Those are probably the main things I’d like to do with the script.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Captain Brian O'Brien, of course.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.