Friday, April 17, 2009

Short Observation and Report

I just got back from seeing Jody Hill's latest film, Observe and Report. The ads make it seem like it's a stoner version of Paul Blart: Mall Cop, but even though I haven't seen the Kevin James vehicle, I think I'm on pretty terra firma that Hill's movie couldn't be more different.

Observe and Report is much more akin to such films as Bad Santa, Punch Drunk Love and Taxi Driver. Although it's admittedly not nearly as good as any of these movies - the tone and style is all over the map - it's good company to have.

Make no mistake: yes, this is a comedy, but a very violent comedy about a mentally ill sociopath. I think some of the controversy around this movie (a lot of it being generated by those who have seen the trailer and not the movie*) misses the point: there are very few laughs, if any, in Observe and Report that come from silliness or zaniness. The climactic scene, for example, had me laughing hysterically, but not because I thought it was wacky. I was laughing out of horrified shock and disbelief (a "holy fucking SHIT!" laugh, if you will). It's fucking insane.

It's truly a disturbing movie. But a ballsy and impressive one.

Beating kids mercilessly with their own skateboards,

James "Excessive Force" Comtois

*I realize I'm chastising people for commenting on a film they haven't seen shortly after referring to a film I haven't seen (Paul Blart). Those who have seen that film wanting to set me straight that Mr. James' character is indeed a Travis Bickle-esque ultraviolent sociopath are welcome to do so in the comments section.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger joshcon80 said...

If you like vicious comedy about sociopaths you should Netflix the BBC series "Nighty Night" toot sweet. It's AMAZING:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395404/

9:21 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I second the "Nighty Night" rec. If you're not sure after the first episode, give it another - Jill will have you rooting for her before long.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Oh, righteous. Thanks for the recommendation, guys! I'll definitely put that on the queue.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.