Thursday, May 07, 2009

This Sounds Kul

Aaron Riccio offers a neat contest/bit of theater advocacy here. The gist: he's going to retroactively comp three people (pretty much at random) who go see bluemouth inc.'s latest, How Soon is Now?

I'm not sure I can make it to this current production, but having seen an excerpt of/read Lenz (which is in the same Plays and Playwrights collection as The Adventures of Nervous-Boy) and seen What the Thunder Said, bluemouth plays with the "found space" environment in a very unique and compelling way, so if you haven't seen a show by them before, I recommend checking it out.

And hey, if you play Aaron's game, you may even get reimbursed.

I do have to say, even though I don't see nearly as many plays as Aaron, I do understand the theatergoing "funk" he describes. Frankly, I've been feeling that a lot lately, too. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've actually seen a number of very good shows this year (including Vampire Cowboys' Soul Samurai, the remount of Universal Robots, and even the revival of August Wilson's Joe Turner's Come and Gone at the Belasco). But still, that feeling of being burned out has often pervaded me this year. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe I just need to recharge my batteries. I dunno.

Anyway, we've gotten a bit off-track here. Suffice it to say, I'm glad to hear Mr. Riccio's batteries have been recharged with this show, and you should check out his offer.

Not putting any money in his mouth,

James "Fiscally Hygienic" Comtois

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Kelley said...

I did this last night! I live right nearby, so I thought "why the heck not?" Great show, and maybe i'll get 20 big ones!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Very nice! Yeah, bluemouth definitely puts on very interesting stuff. And as Aaron puts it, it's a win-win situation: even if you lose the contest, you still get to see a cool show.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.