Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The New Script

Okay, now having written 40 pages (about two-thirds) of the new script, tentatively entitled The Little One, with the remaining scenes mapped out, I can divulge the premise.

Yes. It's a vampire story.

This is a story I've had the germ of the idea for for a little over a year now, but because of the glut of vampire-mania in pop culture right now (True Blood, Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, Thirst and The Last Vampire, to name a few), I decided to shelf the premise until the craze winded down.

Alas, ideas don't often work that way.

I ended up thinking of way too many detailed scenes. I'd try to push them away or temporarily table them, but no dice. They kept coming. And wouldn’t go away.

So, I've gone from, "Fine, I'll just write these down so I can table them," to, "Well, shit. Looks like this is what I’m working on," to, "Holy crap I can't wait to show this to the gang!"

We’ll see if having Nosedive stage a vampire play next year will seem like riding some sort of trend or not. Honestly, at this point, I can’t really worry about that. But for now, I'm having fun writing this...

("Really, James? You’re having fun writing a play about chick vampires?” Yeah, yeah, stop the fucking presses, I know.)

...and am hoping to have a readable draft in the next week or two. We’ll see how it goes.

This is definitely the fun part of the process, when the story is fresh and new and the "second act problems" aren't yet around to burden your mind and when rewrites aren't yet necessary. It's the part of the process when you're telling yourself the story and having fun discovering it.

It's the part of the play creation when it's still fun. And this shit is supposed to be fun, dammit.

I guess I should milk that for as long as possible, since I'm sure I've got some major second act problems awaiting me a couple months down the road.

A carefree idiot writing
about lady vampires,

James "Life Is Good" Comtois

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger macrogers said...

AWESOME!

2010's gonna be a good year.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

I'm hoping. I'm actually almost done, oddly enough (spent the bulk of tonight writing more pages). I really hope you guys dig it.

And in case I can't make it tomorrow, have a great closing for Viral, Mac!

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen "Let the Right One In"? I was going to recommend a very unconventional 1970's vampire film I rewatched called, "Let's Scare Jessica to Death" but I'm afraid you wouldn't like it. I like it for very specific Josh reasons, like an amazing female lead and the fact that's it's really boring and arty (which I mean as a compliment.) It's all very complicated.

By the way, I started work on my gothic soap opera about Navy Wives and a supernatural mystery. I read the first episode at Youngblood. Do you ever act? You should have a cameo sometime as a doctor or something a la Stephan King.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Not only have I seen both, but get this: Let's Scare Jessica to Death was playing in my mom's hospital room after she had given birth to me and while she was tending to me (her roommate was watching it). So in a way, you could say that LSJTD is the first movie I was ever exposed to.

I did see that movie much later, when I was, y'know, able to process sounds and images. I'm not wild about it, but I think the above story irrationally endears me to it.

And I'm not much of an actor. I tend to "Kevin Smith it up" in my own shows. But if you want to email me details we can talk (so we can find out if scheduling permits it and whatnot).

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.