Thursday, September 03, 2009

Vampires That Don't Twinkle

I've begun tweaking and futzing with the rough of The Little One, my vampire play. Although it still needs work, and I'll continue to work on it for the next few months, at least it may not be the horrific embarrassment I had originally convinced myself it was. But then again, who knows? Maybe it still is (and will be). Only time will tell.

I'm certainly aware of this reasonable attitude towards the glut of vampire fare hitting pop culture right now, and am also certainly aware that staging a play about vampires has to overcome a lot of hurdles. "Vampire fatigue," if you will.

I think I've written something that breaks away from the Anne Rice/Twilight/True Blood molds. In other words, The Little One isn't about teenage lust. Nor are the vampires in this play sensitive emo twits. They don't twinkle in the sunlight. They don't romance, date, have sex with, or otherwise have any sort of interaction with humans (apart from using them as a source of sustenance).

They're Fucking Vampires.

Does that mean it doesn't have flaws or clichés (or will be flawless and free of clichés after I complete my multiple revisions)? Of course not. I've written a story in a sub-genre that's been done to death and that's currently being mined and plundered ad nauseum. Do I think it will be worth an audience's time and attention once we stage it? I think so, because otherwise I wouldn't have written it.

Although The Little One is hardly an "old school" vampire story, I do think I may have written it as an attempt at telling a vampire story where the subjects aren't "namby-pamby wimps," as James Berardinelli succinctly puts it.

Covering himself in glitter,

James "Pretty Vampire Fan" Comtois

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger joshcon80 said...

You know what really irks me about Twilight, aside from it being Mormon abstinence propaganda? It takes place in the tiny town next to the tiny town where I grew up in Washington. I got my driver's license in Forks, WA.

I feel like it dirties my plays that take place in Clear Creek, WA (my fictional version of Kitsap County.)

I used to have Twin Peaks, which was a source of native pride. Now I have fucking Twilight.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Philucifer said...

The thing I find funny about Meyer and her Twilight books is that she readily admits she HASN'T READ OR SEEN ANYTHING WITH VAMPIRES. That in itself isn't cause for alarm or anything. I think there's all sorts of room in a heavily-mined genre for people to come in without any requisite background and mess about, maybe find something new.

No, what bothers me is WHY she hasn't read or seen them. To quote Entertainment Weekly:

"Q: Is it true you've never seen a vampire movie?
A: I've seen little pieces of Interview with a Vampire when it was on TV, but I kind of always go YUCK! I don't watch R-rated movies, so that really cuts down on a lot of the horror. And I think I've seen a couple of pieces of The Lost Boys, which my husband liked, and he wanted me to watch it once, but I was like, It's creepy!"

sigh

To quote you on your own blog: They're Fucking Vampires[!!!]

1:01 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Thank God, dude. I was terrified of vampires when I was a kid, they were my nightmare of choice. Vampires are actually really, really fucking scary, they aren't super cute kids or gay icons. They eat people, they're a step up on the food chain from us. And, as a kid, what terrified me was that they were also a little bit smarter than automatons, they were obsessed with feeding on people... and they could turn you into the same OCD person eater.

Anyone who writes *ANYTHING* that goes back to real vampires... I will give that person between $15 and $18 to watch their shit.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.