Monday, February 09, 2009

On-Set Flipouts

I've actually been getting a little too obsessed with the whole actors and directors flipping out on the set thing, with listening to the Christian Bale rant roughly 10 times a day (well, 30, really; the uncut version 10 times and the dance remix another 20 times). I know, I know, I should be waaaay above all this, and follow Mr. Freeman's example and attitude, but I just can't help it.

I could try to intellectualize it all by saying this is a way to counter the insufferably toothless press junket interviews we're inundated with that have nothing more to say than, "This director was such a delight and this project was such a thrill to work on and blather blather blather," but that's admittedly disingenuous.

The truth is I find them amusing, because I'm petty and small-minded.

So, in addition to the Bale rant, I've also had a lot of fun watching this on-set meltdown with director David O. Russell while filming I Heart Huckabees:



And Matt Johnston just sent me this video with Michael Cera via Perez Hilton's site (although, I'm not 100% convinced this isn't staged, not like it matters):



And Scott Walters thinks we theatre people are nasty.

Sorry, folks. I find this shit fun and funny to watch.

Next week, I hope to begin my five-part lecture series on why videos of people getting hit in the nuts by baseball bats are nuggets of comic gold.

Delivering your daily dose of cultcha,

James "Fancy Fucking Pants" Comtois

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

O come on. The Cera flip out is so clearly staged. funny though.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Exactly. I'm pretty sure it's staged. But I don't care. I'll still watch it many, many times.

3:51 PM  
Blogger MattJ said...

noooot staged ya'll. I know you WANT it to be. But it ain't.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Heh, okay. Can we get a confirmation on this from someone? Anyone from Mr. Cera's office?

5:15 PM  
Blogger DL said...

The Cera thing doesn't seem staged to me. He could totally pull it off but the crew's reaction is what tells me it isn't staged...
I need to know now !!!!

Also... did you see this other one from I heart Huckabees :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4uTGvTFzyQ&feature=related

Ha, gotta love Lily !

9:30 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Hey, Boo! Good to hear from you! Yeah, I'm really curious about the Cera thing, but I'm inclined to think it's staged, as he did a similar sketch on the set of Knocked Up where he and Apatow flip out at each other (which is clearly staged).

And yeah, love that clip as well. It's great that the other actors are just stuck in this confined space with her as she flips out.

Jeez, what is wrong with me? I seriously can't get enough of this shit.

9:33 PM  
Blogger DL said...

Anything behind the scenes fascinates me !!!

Did you ever see the special features on the Magnolia DVD ? Soooo good.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

I have! And of course, now that you mention it, it's been a while, so I'll be watching those again tonight. To hell with writing these pages for the musical!

(Seriously, Seth, I kid, I kid. I'll have those pages ready for you by Friday I swear!)

9:37 PM  
Blogger Freeman said...

The Cera thing seems absolutely staged. It would have been far bigger news otherwise.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Duncan Pflaster said...

I used to daydream that when I was famous, I'd go on Inside the Actors Studio- now I daydream that a public meltdown will be recorded and remixed on YouTube.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Seriously, I think we'll be filming Nosedive rehearsals from now on just in case one of us has a violent and histrionic meltdown.

10:59 AM  
Blogger isaac butler said...

I'm voting for definitely staged. Should we forget Cera's staged "Golden Takes" flipout on the set of knocked up? Don't you think, given that he looks directly at the camera several times he'd tell the guy to turn that fucking thing off if it were real?

Come on!

Of course, Cera is supposedly the hold-up to the Arrested Development movie getting made so who knows...

3:16 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Which of course begs the question of whether his hold-out on the AD movie is also a staged publicity stunt.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.