Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Johnna Talks Angel Eaters: Episode One, Jeff Talks Saloon

So, okay. I've not been blogging much lately. And when I have been, it's just been postings of past and future Nosedive events. Well, I've been a little busy. With rehearsals for episode 3 of Entrenched, rewrites for episode 4, and being bogged down with day job work, I haven't had much time to write substantial posts.

And of course, today, I got laid off.

Guess I can cross that off my list for things in the way of blogging.

Although, I'll now have to spend much of my time looking for a new job. Go figure.

Anyway, while I try to sort stuff out over on my end (read: lay on the couch while collecting severance and unemployment), I invite you to check out Nosedive vet Zack Caloon's interview with Johnna Adams, who wrote three of my favorite plays last year, the Angel Eaters Trilogy. In it, she talks about the writing process, sources of inspiration and a forthcoming Angel Eaters prequel trilogy, which is super-freaking cool indeed.

I've also wanted to gush a little bit about the Saturday Night Saloon, but that will have to happen at a later date. In the meantime, I think Jeff Lewonczyk hit the nail on the head with this post on the monthly event. In particular, he writes:

"The Saloon is not a commercial enterprise for tourists, nor is it middlebrow not-for-profit fare, nor is it avant-garde onanism. It’s the embodiment of a nascent community, one that lives in the culture of our present moment and combines the DIY aesthetic of punk with the geek’s love of genre minutiae to create something both more ancient and more cutting-edge than either: a public forum where artists are invited to experiment out loud, in real time, with ways of having fun in a roomful of people thirsty for stories."


He really nails it. Read the whole thing here.

Anyway, read those pages, and I'll check in with you folks soon.

Goin' through some shit, man,

James "Eh, Not Really" Comtois

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Kelley said...

My friend, that sucks.

If it's any consolation, I enjoy your plays, and look forward to time (hopefully soon) when I can see one yet again.

Best of luck with the ol' job hunt.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Jamespeak said...

Oh, thank you, sir. Yeah, it sucks, but it's also a bit of a relief, since this had been looming over my head for a solid year. Plus, I can now enjoy some severance and unemployment, which will be nice for a little while.

2:18 PM  
Blogger macrogers said...

I'm really sorry to hear about the job, through I understand where you're coming from. My job's eating up my life, but I guess it's better than not having one. Still, I hope you get some well-earned rest.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.